Permission to hold the professional title occupational therapist / occupational therapist Grant for degrees from abroad Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

The profession of occupational therapy is regulated by precise regulations in many federal states of Germany. This means that in order to work as an occupational therapist or occupational therapist without restriction, you need a government permit. With this permission, you are allowed to hold the job title and work in the profession without restriction. Even with a professional qualification from abroad, you can get permission to hold the professional title from the LAVG. To do so, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognised. It is important where you have done your training. The procedure for professional qualifications from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland may be different from the procedure for professional qualifications from third countries. Third countries are all non-EU, EEA or Switzerland countries. As a precautionary measure, it should be noted that the pursuit of activities in the professions mentioned without permission to hold the professional title constitutes an administrative offence and may be punished with a fine.

The LAVG will tell you what documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally: Proof of identity (e.g. your passport or identity card) If your name is changed: Marriage certificate Curriculum vitae in table form and in German (list of your training courses and your professional practice) Proof of your professional qualification (certificate, detailed study and hour overview of theory and practice, Diploma Supplement) A certificate that you can work as an occupational therapist or occupational therapist in your country of education Proof of your professional practice (e.g. certificates from employers) Proof of your other qualifications (e.g. continuing vocational training, courses, seminars) Registration certificate or proof that you want to work in the state where you apply A written declaration as to whether and to which body you have already applied for equivalence. If available, the communication received Proof of your Knowledge of German Proof of your personal suitability: Official certificate of leadership of a German authority. Another name for the official certificate of leadership is "Certificate of Leadership Type O". In Germany, you will receive a certificate of leadership from your registration office or citizen's office. The official certificate of leadership should normally be a maximum of 3 months old at the time of presentation. Also a certificate from an authority in your home country: for example, an extract of criminal records A Certificate of Good Standing A signed statement that no criminal proceedings are under way against you and will not be investigated against you Proof of fitness for health: A medical certificate or certificate of your health. The proof may not exceed 3 months when you submit the application. The LAVG will inform you which documents you need to submit in the original or as a copy. You must submit your documents in German. This often means that your documents need to be translated. The translations must be made by translators who are publicly appointed or authorised.

Online procedure possible: no Written form required: yes Personal appearance necessary: no

a training in occupational therapy completed abroad, which is equivalent to a German training or an equivalent level of knowledge The equivalence of the level of knowledge shall be demonstrated, where appropriate, by means of an examination or an adaptation course. Health suitability Proof of reliability and appreciation for the exercise of occupational therapy sufficient knowledge of German at level B 2 Proof of competence

Freedom to provide services As a national of the EU, eEA or Switzerland with professional qualifications from these countries, you do not need a state permit if you only want to work temporarily and occasionally as a service provider in Germany. However, special requirements apply: you must report your work to the LAVG before the first job. The LAVG informs you exactly about the procedure. Equivalence decision In the permit procedure, the LAVG compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification (equivalence test / equivalence assessment). For the result of the examination, you may be able to obtain a separate notice (equivalence notice).
The procedure may vary from one federal state to another. In most länder, the procedure is as follows: You can apply in writing for permission to hold the professional title "occupational therapist" or "occupational therapist" with a professional qualification from abroad: Examination of equivalence Submit an application for permission and the necessary proof to the LAVG. (The application is called differently in each state.) The LAVG then checks whether you meet all requirements. The LAVG compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification as occupational therapist and occupational therapist. The LAVG checks whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification. Possible results of the test If your professional qualification is equivalent, the LAVG recognises your foreign professional qualification. The LAVG can confirm the result in writing. You have to meet the other requirements and prove your language skills. Then you will be given permission to take the professional title. If the LAVG finds significant differences, you may be able to compensate for the differences through your professional practice. You must prove your professional practice. However, your professional practice may not be sufficient. You cannot then compensate for the main differences. The LAVG gives you the essential differences in writing and why you cannot compensate for them with your professional practice. However, the LAVG offers you a compensatory measure. If you successfully complete this action, you can compensate for the significant differences. Your professional qualification will then be recognised. Compensatory measures As a compensatory measure, you can choose between an adaptation course and an aptitude test (for professional qualifications from EU/EEA/Switzerland) or a knowledge examination (for professional qualifications from third countries) Adaptation course: practical post-qualification; can last the entire German training period for the profession (up to 3 years) Aptitude test: Examination only of the differences identified by the LAVG Knowledge check: Your knowledge in certain subjects and areas is checked If you complete the adaptation course or pass the aptitude or knowledge test (and meet all other requirements), you will be given permission to carry the professional title "occupational therapist" or "occupational therapist".

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Integration and Consumer Protection

Last update or date of publication