Permission to use the professional title occupational therapist Granted
You can apply for permission to use the professional title occupational therapist at the State Office for Occupational Safety, Consumer Protection and Health (LAVG).
The activity as an occupational therapist in Germany is regulated by precise regulations. This means that in order for you to be able to work as an occupational therapist in Germany, you need a state permit. With this permission, you may use the professional title "occupational therapist" and work in the profession.
Permission to use the professional title of occupational therapist is required to practice the aforementioned profession. It must be applied for. Permission is granted if you
- have not been guilty of conduct resulting in unreliability for the exercise of the profession,
- are suitable for practising the profession from a health point of view,
- have passed the state examination for occupational therapists after 3 years of training,
- have the necessary knowledge of the German language for the exercise of the professional activity.
- official certificate of good conduct in the original (not older than 3 months)
- Proof of health suitability for the profession of occupational therapy (not older than 3 months)
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no
Application for permission to use the professional title "Occupational Therapist" (signed in the original)
Proof of health suitability to practice the profession (not older than 3 months)
- State examination for occupational therapists passed after 3 years of training
- health suitability (This means that you can work psychologically and physically as an occupational therapist.)
- Reliability for working as an occupational therapist
- no criminal record
- Proof of the German language skills required for the job. This is usually the B2 language level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
§ 1 paragraph 1 Occupational Therapists Act (ErgThG)
Contact State Office for Occupational Safety, Consumer Protection and Health (LAVG) on the granting of permits
You can apply for permission to use the professional title "occupational therapist" in writing using the form provided:
- Download the form online and print it out.
- Fill in the form and add the necessary evidence.
- Submit the application documents to the LAVG.
- You will then receive the desired permission by post and transfer the fee provided for this purpose.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Integration and Consumer Protection
Last update or date of publication