Educational support Permit for students

You can receive financial support for your studies or internship if your parents earn comparatively little or if you have already worked independently of your parents. This support is called BAföG.

BAföG is the abbreviation for Federal Training Assistance Act. BAföG is colloquially referred to as the funding that you can receive under this law. You will receive the funding for financing

  • your studies,
  • under certain conditions of a prescribed internship as part of your studies.

To receive the monthly grant, you must meet a number of requirements. The most important are:

  • Your parents and/or your life partner earn comparatively little.
  • You yourself have no or a low income.
  • Your assets are below the allowance of EUR 7,500.
  • You study full-time
  • Age limit: 30 years; in the Master 35 years (exceptions are possible)

If you are studying, you will receive half of the funding as a loan and half as a grant. This means that you only have to repay half of the money after graduation. The loan is interest-free, you basically do not have to pay any interest ("interest-free loan"). You only start repaying 5 years after the end of the maximum funding period, which usually corresponds to your standard period of study. You must repay a maximum of EUR 10,010, which corresponds to 77 monthly installments of EUR 130 each from the beginning of the repayment. If you do not earn enough to repay your loan, you can apply to the Federal Office of Administration for a deferral of payment.

The amount of your BAföG depends on a fixed monthly requirement. Money is deducted from this need if your parents, your life partner or yourself earn comparatively much.


When you study, your monthly needs are made up of different parts:

  • Basic needs:
    • EUR 391.00 if you attend a technical school class for which you need a completed vocational training, an evening grammar school or a college or
    • EUR 419.00 if you complete your training at a higher technical school, academy or university (for example at a university).
  • Need for accommodation:
    • EUR 55.00 if you live with your parents or
    • EUR 325.00 if you do not live with your parents.
  • If you cannot take out health/long-term care insurance through your parents, you will receive an additional EUR 84.00 or EUR 25.00.
  • If you have a child under the age of 10 who lives in your household, you will also receive a childcare supplement: EUR 140.00 for each child.

The following amounts are credited, i.e. they reduce your BAföG needs:

  • The income of your parents and/or your spouse/partner in the penultimate year before the start of the authorisation period if it is higher than the allowance. The allowance is:
    • EUR 1,835 if your parents live together,
    • EUR 1,225 per parent if your parents live separately and
    • EUR 1,225 for a possible spouse/partner.
    • Note: If your parents or spouse/partner are currently earning significantly less than in the penultimate year before approval, you can apply for an update.
    • Parent-independent BAföG: Your parents' income will not be taken into account if you
      • have been employed for 5 years after reaching the age of 18, or
      • have completed a 3-year apprenticeship and then worked for at least 2 years.
      • In certain exceptional cases, if you are over 30 years old at the beginning of the training.
  • Your own income if you earn more than EUR 450.00 per month yourself.
  • Your own assets if you own more than EUR 7,500.

For example, if they have a basic requirement of EUR 649.00 and

  • you do not live with your parents,
  • Your parents live separately and your father earned EUR 29,470 and EUR and your mother EUR 21,740 gross in the year before last,
  • you earn EUR 400.00 a month with your part-time job and
  • have no assets,

EUR 87.11 will be deducted from your needs due to your father's income surplus and EUR 8.14 due to your mother's income surplus. Your 400-EUR part-time job has no influence on your BAföG rate. You will then receive a total of EUR 554.00 BAföG.

Note: The starting point for the income calculation is basically the sum of the positive income. In tax law, this is the gross income minus the

  • advertising costs
  • Social lump sum and the
  • taxes actually paid, including church tax and solidarity surcharge.

You can receive BAföG until the end of the standard period of study. Only in exceptional cases can your BAföG be extended afterwards, for example if you

  • have not passed the final examination,
  • have a disability,
  • are or have been pregnant,
  • have raised a child up to 14 years of age,
  • are or have been active in student self-administration, university committees or bodies, at the Studierendenwerk or in student self-administration, or
  • have cared for close relatives.

If you drop out of a course of study and start another course of study ("change of degree programme"), your new course of study can only be funded if

  • the change took place at the latest in the 2nd semester or
  • the change took place in the 3rd semester and there is an important reason for the change or
  • the change follows from the 4th semester and there was an undeniable reason for the change, for example:
  • a disability that has occurred after commencement of training, or
  • an allergy to certain substances which makes it impossible to continue training or to pursue the profession previously pursued.

Studying abroad

If you are completing a semester or year abroad, you can apply for supplements to travel expenses, tuition fees and foreign health insurance.

For study stays in other EU countries, shorter stays are also eligible for funding and for stays abroad outside the EU/Switzerland, purchasing power compensation is also granted. For example, if you study at a university in Germany, do not live with your parents, but are insured through them, and do not have your own child, your need is EUR 744.00 (basic requirement of EUR 419.00 plus EUR 325.00 need for accommodation).


BAföG can only be used to support internships that you complete while you are in an apprenticeship that is eligible under BAföG.

Only compulsory internships are funded. These are internships that your study regulations or training plan prescribe, so you have to do in order to complete or complete your studies or training. Compulsory internships completed abroad are only eligible if they last at least 12 weeks. Compulsory internships within the EU Member States are supported regardless of a minimum length of stay.

You can also get BAföG if you complete your entire studies in another EU country.

  • Certificate of enrolment with the imprint "according to § 9 BAföG" in the original or certificate of the training institution
  • Copy of the
    • Id
    • Passports or
    • current residence permit
  • If you do not live with your parents: copy
    • the rental agreement or
    • the registration certificate
  • If you do not have family insurance: proof of health and long-term care insurance with legal basis and amount of contributions
  • If necessary, proof of your own income during the approval period, for example
    • Payroll, part-time job, work contract,
    • Orphan's pension notice,
    • Scholarship notice or
    • Riester pension certificate
  • Proof of assets or debts on the day of application, for example bank statement
  • If you have a car:
    • Estimation of the value, for example printing from a website with a comparable offer, and
    • Motor vehicle registration.
  • From the 5th semester: Proof of achievement from your university

Note: Depending on the case, further documents may be required. Please follow the instructions in the application forms. The BAföG office responsible for you will request missing documents.

Forms: yes

Online procedure possible: yes, with eID or De-Mail

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance required: no

Related Links

  • All application forms on the BAföG website
  • Application assistant to find out the necessary forms on the BAföG website
  • Links to the electronic application of the individual federal states on the BAföG website



You can receive BAföG if

  • You attend a university, an academy or a higher technical school. If it is a private training institution, it must be recognized by the state.
  • you are studying full-time,
  • You either
    • are German or German, or
    • come from abroad and e.B.:
      • have a right of permanent residence or a settlement permit,
      • are union citizens and, as employees or self-employed persons, are entitled to freedom of movement under EU law or are themselves entitled to freedom of movement as the child or spouse of such a Union citizen,
      • hold prospects of staying in Germany, for example a residence permit for family, humanitarian or political reasons, or
      • have been in Germany for 5 years or more before starting their training and have worked during this time.
  • You are younger than
    • 30 years (Bachelor's degree) or
    • 35 years (Master's programme)
    • exceptions:
      • You have acquired the university entrance qualification on the 2nd educational path,
      • You have enrolled at a university solely on the basis of your professional qualifications,
      • for personal or family reasons, in particular because of the uninterrupted upbringing of a child under the age of 14, they were prevented from starting the training period on time (and did not work more than 30 hours a week), or
      • They have become needy due to drastic changes in personal circumstances. For this reason, you were not able to complete an apprenticeship eligible for BAföG to qualify for a profession.


  • You will receive BAföG for your studies and the internship if this is prescribed by the training regulations and lasts at least 12 weeks for internships abroad. For stays abroad within the EU, no minimum length of stay is necessary.

Note: Since the legal regulation is very complex, you should contact your responsible office for educational support at an early stage.

Related Links

  • Federal Act on Individual Promotion of Training (BAföG)

Related Links

  • Website of BAföG
  • Brochure on BAföG on the website of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research

If you would like to apply for BAföG online for your studies or school education,

  • First, either activate the online ID function of your identity card (eID) or open a De-Mail account. You will need to register for both.
  • The procedure depends on the federal state in which you are completing your studies.

If you wish to submit the application in paper form,

  • go to the BAföG website and download the application forms that concern you. Alternatively, you can also pick up the applications at your Studierendenwerk.
  • If you do not know which forms concern you, you can use the application assistant on the BAföG website: you answer some questions and the assistant will tell you which forms you need to submit.
  • You can fill out and print the forms on the computer or print them out and fill them out by hand. The application must be signed.
  • Add the necessary evidence.
  • Send the completed application forms directly to the office responsible for educational support for you.
  • The Office for Educational Support checks the documents for completeness. If documents are missing, they will be requested. If the application is complete, it will be examined and the decision will be communicated by decision.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Education and Research

Last update or date of publication