Shipments of waste in Germany and Europe Approval for waste according to the "yellow" waste list and all other waste intended for disposal

You can apply for permission to import or export waste for the shipment of waste from Germany to a third country or from a third country to Germany from SBB Sonderabfallgesellschaft Brandenburg/Berlin mbH.

Within the European Union (EU), including the EEA states and Switzerland, the cross-border import or export of waste is permitted. To do this, you must have previously carried out an approval procedure (notification procedure). This procedure is mandatory for all waste on the Yellow Waste List.

Note: Different rules apply to the transboundary import or export of waste, depending on the

  • classification of waste (Green or Yellow Waste List),
  • type of disposal (recovery or disposal) and
  • Recipient Country.

You can find out which wastes are classified and how in the " Consolidated Waste Lists " of the Basel Convention Focal Point.

The notification shall be valid for a maximum of one year.

The authorities may also authorise different periods. In this case, import or export is permitted as long as the consents of all authorities are valid.

For the export of "green" waste for recovery within the EU, only information obligations apply.

Check with the competent authority which documents are necessary in your case.

The necessary forms are laid down in Regulation (EC) 1013/2006.

A personal appearance of the applicant is not required.

Related Links

  • further information and electronic support forms


The waste is either

  • intended for disposal, or
  • in the Yellow Waste List.


SBB Hazardous Waste Company

Brandenburg/Berlin mbH

  • For information, see

Related Links

  • Regulation (EC) No 1013/2006 on shipments of waste (VVA)
  • Waste Shipment Act (AbfVerbrG)
  • Consolidated waste lists

Waste may only be imported and exported through certain customs offices. A list of all eligible customs offices can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety.

Related Links

  • Website of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety

As an exporter, you must apply in writing for the planned shipment to the competent authority of the place of dispatch. To do this, use the notification form.

Note: The forms are available from relevant specialist publishers. Sample forms (notification and movement forms) as well as a completed instruction are available for download on the website of the Federal Environment Agency.

The competent authority shall examine the application and involve the authorities of the State of consignee and, possibly, of the States of transit in the further procedure. The authority of the place of dispatch and the country of destination must agree to the import or export in writing, in the case of transit states tacit consent is possible.

As an exporter, you will receive written consent by post from

  • the competent authority of the place of dispatch, and
  • the competent authority of the place of destination, and
  • possibly by the competent authority of transit

If one of the authorities objects to the import or export, you will receive them in writing.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Agriculture, Environment and Climate Protection (MLUK) of the State of Brandenburg, Department 5

Last update or date of publication