Marriage Registration

Properly issued marriage certificates (marriage certificates) from abroad are generally recognized in Germany. There is no obligation to post-notarization. However, the subsequent entry in the marriage register can be advantageous because the local registry office can then issue you with a German marriage certificate. Any translations and certifications of the foreign document will therefore no longer apply in the future.

Marriage certificate (marriage certificate) about the marriage concluded abroad, if necessary with certification by the competent foreign authority (apostille) or legalization by the German mission abroad valid identity card, passport or travel document if applicable, naturalisation certificate, nationality card Translations of all documents in a foreign language by translators sworn in in Germany Other additional documents required: at the birth of the spouses in Germany: the birth certificates at the birth of the spouses abroad: the birth certificates with certification by the competent foreign authority (apostille) or legalization by the German mission abroad Has a spouse been married before: certified copy from the marriage register of the last marriage with a note of dissolution alternatively or in the case of a previous marriage abroad: proof of the conclusion and dissolution of all previous marriages for example, marriage certificates, death certificates, all divorce decrees (complete and with a note from the court as to when the judgment is final / "legal force note") if applicable, recognition of the foreign divorce by the President of the Higher Regional Court Had a spouse ever established a registered civil partnership: Proof of the establishment and dissolution of all civil partnerships

A marriage concluded abroad can only be entered in the German marriage register if it has been legally concluded. In addition, it may not contradict German law. The post-certification of the marriage is possible for: German citizens Stateless, homeless foreigners or foreign refugees with habitual residence in Germany Eligible applicants: each spouse both died: their parents, or their children

Since 1 January 2009, no certified copies from the family book have been issued the registry office continues to keep the data of the family books as marriage entries. If you need proof, please request a marriage certificate in each case. If you have married abroad, you can apply to the registry office of your home town for the marriage to be subsequently certified in the German marriage register.
§§ 34 f. Civil Status Act (PStG)

Details of the modalities and the documents that the registry office requires from you in detail, please ask there in advance by phone. Compile the necessary documents and visit the registry office. The registrar checks whether notarization by a German registry office is possible. If the conditions are met, the entry in the marriage register can take place. If necessary, the registry office will issue you with a marriage certificate after successful registration.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of the Interior
Supplemented by MIK BB on 9.9.2019

Last update or date of publication