Permission to carry out the professional title Grant of elderly care assistant or nursing assistant with professional qualification from abroad

The profession of nursing assistant for the elderly is regulated by precise regulations in many federal states of Germany. This means that in order to work without restriction as a nursing assistant for the elderly, you need a state permit. With this permission, you are allowed to hold the job title and work in the profession without restriction. The legal regulations and requirements of the profession differ in the individual federal states. The profession is called different in the individual federal states: "Elderly nursing assistant" or "elderly care assistant" in Brandenburg, Hesse, Saarland, Schleswig-Holstein and Thuringia "State-recognised nursing assistant" or "state-recognised care assistant" in Baden-Württemberg, Bremen, North Rhine-Westphalia and Saxony-Anhalt "State-certified nursing assistant" or "state-certified care assistant" in Rhineland-Palatinate "State-recognised health and care assistant" or "state-recognised health and care assistant" in Hamburg "State-certified nursing assistant" or "state-certified nursing assistant" in Bavaria "State-certified nursing assistant" or "state-certified nursing assistant" in Lower Saxony "Sick and elderly nursing assistant" or "sick and elderly care assistant" in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Even with a professional qualification from abroad, you can get permission to take the professional title from the LASV. To do so, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognised. It is important where you have done your training. The procedure for professional qualifications from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland may be different from the procedure for professional qualifications from third countries. Third countries are all non-EU, EEA or Switzerland countries. You can also apply from abroad.

Proof of identity (e.g. your passport or identity card) If your name is changed: Marriage certificate Curriculum vitae in table form and in German (list of your training courses and your professional practice) Proof of your professional qualification (duration of training, certificate, detailed study and hour overview of theory and practice, Diploma Supplement, specific information on the type of examinations, training objective and fields of activity of the professional practice) A certificate that you are allowed to work in the care of the elderly in your training country Proof of your professional practice in care for the elderly (e.g. certificates from employers, confirmed by the competent authority of the country in which the activity was carried out) Proof of your other qualifications (e.g. continuing vocational training, courses, seminars) Registration certificate or proof that you want to work in the state where you apply In the case of professional qualifications from EU/EEA/Switzerland: A certificate from the competent authority in your training country on the equivalence of your professional qualification in accordance with Directive 2005/36/EC ("Certificate of Conformity") A written declaration as to whether and to which body you have already applied for equivalence. If available, the communication received. Proof of your German language skills (level B2) Proof of your personal suitability: Official certificate of leadership of a German authority. Another name for the official certificate of leadership is "Certificate of Leadership Type O". In Germany, you will receive a certificate of leadership from your registration office or citizen's office. The official certificate of leadership should normally be a maximum of 3 months old at the time of presentation. It is also possible to certify from an authority in your home country: for example, an excerpt of criminal records, a Certificate of Good Standing Possibly sufficient: A signed statement that no criminal proceedings are under way against you and will not be investigated against you Proof of fitness for health: A medical certificate or certificate. The proof may not exceed 3 months when you submit the application. All documents must be presented in officially certified form and In German translation, unless expressly required in the original. This often means that your documents need to be translated. The translations must be made by translators who are publicly appointed or authorised. Please ask the LASV if you need to submit further documents.

Form: Application for the title of occupation after completing training abroad - care for the elderly Online procedure possible: no Written form required: yes Personal appearance necessary: no

Professional qualification as a nursing assistant for the elderly from abroad (the foreign professional qualification must be equivalent to the German one) Health suitability: that means person is mentally and physically healthy and can work in their profession personal aptitude: that is, person is reliable and has no criminal record sufficient knowledge of German: usually proof of language level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages

Freedom to provide services If you are a national of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland with a professional qualification, you do not need a state permit if you only want to work temporarily and occasionally as a service provider in Germany. However, special requirements apply: you must report your work to the LASV before the first job. The LASV informs you exactly about the procedure. Equivalence decision In the permit procedure, the LASV compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification (equivalence test / equivalence assessment). For the outcome of the examination, you may be able to apply for a separate decision (equivalence notice). Procedures for late emigrants As a late emigrant, you can go through the procedure either according to the respective law of the federal state or under the Federal Persons of Displaced Persons Act. You can decide for yourself. The LASV will advise you on this.
Law on the Determination of Equivalence of Professional Qualifications Acquired Abroad in Brandenburg (BbgBQFG) The legal basis varies in each federal state. The relevant technical regulations apply (e.g. vocational school regulations, training and examination regulations for the elderly care assistance, the Care of the Elderly). The provisions of the Professional Qualification Assessment Act (BQFG) or "Recognition Laws" of the Federal States also apply frequently. All recognition laws can be found here: Recognition laws of the federal states

Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications on "Recognition in Germany" Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications on the BQ portal Financial assistance in the recognition process Publicly appointed translators in Germany

The procedure may vary from one federal state to another. In most länder, the procedure is as follows: You can apply in writing for a state permit to carry out the professional title of nursing assistant or nursing assistant with a professional qualification from abroad with the form available: Examination of equivalence Download and print the form online. Fill in the form and add the necessary evidence. Submit the application documents to the LASV. The LASV then checks whether you meet all the requirements. The LASV compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification as a nursing assistant for the elderly. The LASV checks whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification. Possible results of the test If your professional qualification is equivalent, the LASV recognises your foreign professional qualification. The LASV can confirm the result in writing. You have to meet the other requirements and prove your language skills. Then you will be given permission to take the professional title. If the LASV detects significant differences, you may be able to compensate for the differences with your professional practice. You must prove your professional practice. However, your professional practice may not be sufficient. You cannot then compensate for the main differences. The LASV gives you the main differences in writing and why you cannot compensate for them with your professional practice. However, the LASV offers you a compensatory measure. If you successfully complete this action, you can compensate for the significant differences. Your professional qualification will then be recognised. Compensatory measures As a compensatory measure, you can choose between an adaptation course and an aptitude test (for professional qualifications from EU/EEA/Switzerland) or a knowledge examination (for professional qualifications from third countries) Adaptation course: practical post-qualification; may last the entire German training period for the profession (12 months) Aptitude test: Examination only of the differences identified by the LASV Knowledge check: Your knowledge in certain subjects and areas is checked If you complete the adaptation course or pass the aptitude or knowledge test (and meet all other requirements), you will be given permission to take the professional title.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs, Health, Women and Family

Last update or date of publication