Exemption for registration in the register of craftsmen Grant
An exemption according to § 8 HwO will be granted to you if the requirements are met.
- In addition to the master craftsman's certificate, the Crafts Code (HwO) provides for various other qualification certificates for registration in the register of craftsmen. This also includes the exemption permit in accordance with §§ 8 and 9 HwO.
- An exemption permit in accordance with § 8 HwO is granted to anyone who proves that the knowledge and skills necessary for the independent exercise of the craft subject to approval by the applicant are available and that the completion of the master craftsman's examination is permanently or temporarily unreasonable for him. The unreasonableness is determined after weighing up all the circumstances of the individual case. It is unreasonable to take the master craftsman's examination, for example:
- for an age of 47 years or more,
- in the presence of high-quality qualifications,
- in the case of the particularly favourable possibility of taking over a business,
- in the case of the outsourcing of craft business units in the company,
- for waiting periods of more than 2 years to take the master craftsman's examination,
- in the event of health impairments, or
- in the exercise of special activities.
If necessary, the exemption permit can be granted for a limited period or with conditions and conditions.
- An exemption in accordance with § 9 HwO in conjunction.m with the regulations of the EU/EEA HwV is granted to anyone who wants to maintain a commercial establishment in Germany as a citizen of an EU member state, another EEA state or Switzerland and has the necessary professional experience or training. Proof of skills acquired in the home country can be provided by presenting an EU certificate from the competent body of your home country. Under certain circumstances, the Chamber of Crafts may order compensatory measures before granting the exemption permit.
- Proof of the required knowledge and skills by presenting the original documents or certified copies
in the case of § 9 HwO additionally:
- EU certificate as certified copy
- a German translation as a certified copy
- Proof of nationality (photo ID)
- a German correspondence address
Online application procedure
An exceptional case exists if the passing of a master craftsman's examination at the time of application or thereafter would mean an unreasonable burden for the applicant. An exceptional case also exists if the applicant has passed an examination on the basis of a statutory ordinance issued in accordance with § 42 HwO or § 53 of the Vocational Training Act.
Proof of the knowledge and skills necessary for the independent exercise of the craft subject to authorisation
§ 8 Handwerksordnung (HwO)
Law on the Order of Crafts
- Ordinance on the conditions applicable to nationals of a Member State of the European Union or of another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the pursuit of a craft subject to authorisation
The exemption permit is granted at the request of the trader.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of Economy and Energy
Last update or date of publication