If you as an organizer would like to host a trade fair, an exhibition, a wholesale market, a weekly, annual or special market (for example, a Christmas market), approval of the event is required.
In the context of the approval process, events are in particular weekly, annual or special markets.
- A weekly market is a regularly recurring, time-limited event at which a large number of vendors offer food and raw natural products, for example.
- A special market is when certain goods are usually offered regularly at longer intervals at a temporary event.
- Goods of all kinds are offered at fairs. Fairs are generally regularly recurring, time-limited events at longer intervals.
- If you as an organizer want to offer a weekly, annual or special market, you must apply for a determination (approval) from the competent authority. The approval means that you as an organizer are exempt from some commercial obligations (for example, travel fabric card, compliance with shop closing times).
Organizers are natural and legal persons. Cities also often act as organizers, mainly at weekly markets. If the market takes place in public spaces, a special use permit is required. During the application procedure, the competent authority shall verify the reliability of the applicant.
- Certificate of good conduct
- Extract from the Central Trade Register
- Certificate in tax matters from the tax office of the place where you have lived or operated a business in the past 3 years
- Negative certificate from the insolvency court of those district courts in whose district you have had a residence or a commercial establishment in the past 3 years
If the event takes place in public space:
Special use permit
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: no
Personal appearance required: no
In order for the event to be approved for you, you must
- Prove your personal reliability and the reliability of the persons in charge of the management of the event. This is checked on the basis of the extracts from the Federal Central Register and the Central Trade Register.
- In addition, the protection against dangers to life and health for the participants must be ensured.
There must be no danger to public safety and order as a result of the event.
§ 69 Industrial Code (GewO)
§ 69a Industrial Code (GewO)
§ 64 Industrial Code (GewO)
§ 65 Industrial Code (GewO)
§ 66 Industrial Code (GewO)
§ 67 Industrial Code (GewO)
§ 68 Industrial Code (GewO)
§ 68a Industrial Code (GewO)
If you have submitted the application informally and all documents are available in full, the competent authority will check whether you meet all the requirements for granting the requested determination of an event.
Information that the informal application must contain:
- Event Date
- Opening hours
- Event name, for example "Spring Market"
- Map with stands, bird's-eye view of the driveways
- Preliminary list of participants with product range of the participants
- Blank contract concluded between the organiser and dealers
If you meet all the requirements, approval will be granted.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy
Last update or date of publication