Recognition of academic degrees, titles and designations

Do you have an academic degree from a foreign university such as e.B. licencjat, inzener, kandidat-nauk, which you would like to lead in Germany? If it has been duly awarded by a recognised higher education institution, you can keep it without permission under the conditions specified in the State Higher Education Act. You must then guide it in the given form and indicate the lending institution. If your degree has not been given in Latin script, you may transfer it to the Latin script (transliteration). You can also add the literal German translation in parentheses. They may also carry the foreign degree in short form (with addition of origin) if the keeping of the short form is permitted or customary in the country of origin. You can do without specifying the lending college if you have earned the degree: within the European Union (EU) within the European Economic Area (EEA) from the European University Institute Florence of the Pontifical Universities However, equivalence agreements concluded with other states and the decision of the Conference of Ministers of Culture to lead foreign academic degrees of 26 June 2014 must be observed. Equivalence agreements and the decision of the Conference of Ministers of Culture contain favourable special arrangements. This is especially true for certain doctoral degrees from Russia, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada and the USA. A conversion or reclassification of the foreign degree to the corresponding domestic degree is excluded. Exceptions (permits) are possible under certain conditions for higher education degrees of late emigrants, their spouses and descendants.

officially certified copy of the original foreign diploma or award certificate officially certified copy of the translation of the diploma or certificate Copy of identity card or passport (in proceedings in accordance with Section 10 BVFG) in the event of a name change: corresponding proofs such as e.B. copy of the marriage certificate, declaration of name change

Forms: no Online procedure possible: no Written form required: no Personal appearance necessary: no

Degree at a recognised university abroad

In connection with foreign university degrees, the Ministry of Science deals exclusively with questions of grading (exception: degrees of persons entitled under the Federal Persons of Persons with a Federal Data Protection Act). Evaluations, comparisons and assignments to corresponding German university degrees or university degrees are not carried out by the Ministry of Science.
Section 30, 34 Brandenburg Higher Education Act (BbgHG) Section 10 Federal Persons of Displaced Persons Act (BVFG )

fact sheet on the management of foreign academic Grade: Database for the evaluation of foreign educational certificates: Recognition of professional qualifications: Evaluation of foreign professional qualifications : Information portal Recognition in Germany:

You do not need government approval or confirmation to perform foreign degrees, titles, or job titles. However, you may need written information on the conduct of your degree and the relevant legal bases, e.B. Population registration and registry offices, Professional chambers and Professional associations. Then you can submit an informal application to the Ministry of Science and submit the necessary documents.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Science, Research and Culture of the State of Brandenburg

Last update or date of publication