Passport Exhibition

In many countries outside the European Union (EU), you will need a passport upon entry. You must apply for your passport in person. You apply for a passport at the Citizen's Office at your place of residence, in the case of several residences in the Civic Office at your main residence. You can also apply for a passport at any other civic office. In this case, you will have to pay a surcharge. Children under 12 years old can receive a child's passport.

To apply for your passport, you will need the following documents: a valid ID (passport, identity card, children's card, children's passport), a current photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm), portrait, frontal shot without edge, without headgear and without covering the eyes (biometric photo), if necessary, Your previous passport, if necessary, Your birth certificate, at the time of the application for a child : identification of the present guardian, if necessary the declaration of consent and a copy of the identity card of the non-present guardian, proof of custody with only one guardian. When first issuance or when moving to a municipality, further documents such as civil status certificates or citizenship certificates may be required. Please check with the appropriate authority in advance.

The requirements for applying for a passport are Germans within the meaning of Art. 116 sec. 1 Of the Basic Law (GG) There must be no grounds for refusal, such as the assumption that you wish to evade prosecution, execution or statutory maintenance by leaving. Requirements for applying for a provisional passport: The provisional passport can be issued and handed over immediately if the regular passport cannot be completed in time for the start of the journey, even if the regular passport cannot be completed in advance of the start of the journey. The Citizen's Office may require appropriate proof, such as airline tickets or other travel documents. The period of validity of the provisional passport shall be adjusted to the purpose of travel and may not exceed one year. The provisional passport does not contain an electronic storage medium (chip).

You must be present in person when applying for your passport in order to verify your identity. If you cannot be present in person, only a temporary passport can be issued. The identity check must then be carried out at the time of the issue of the document, otherwise the provisional passport will not be handed over. The provisional passport does not contain an electronic storage medium (chip). Some countries, such as .B to the United States, require a normal electronic passport for visa-free entry. If entry to these countries is to be made with a temporary passport, a visa is also required.
Section 6 Passport Law (PassG) Section 1 Passport Ordinance (PassV) Section 15 Passport Ordinance (PassV)

Detailed travel and security advice for all countries can be found in the online offer of the Foreign Office. There you will find out under "Entry requirements for German nationals", for which countries a passport is required or an identity card is sufficient. Travel and security advice from the Foreign Office Frequently asked questions about: Passport:

You must apply for your passport in person. The application will be completed on site with the processor. All you have to do is sign. Fingerprints are legally mandatory for the submission of applications (flat imprint of the left and right index fingers). The passport will be sent by the passport manufacturer to the applicant citizen's office after manufacture. You can then pick up your passport there.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of the Interior

Last update or date of publication