Children's passport

The children's passport is a travel document for children under 12 years of age. Since 26 June 2012, children's entries in their parents' passports have been invalid and are no longer sufficient to cross the border. Since then, your children (from birth) must have their own travel document when travelling abroad. For you, as a parent and as a passport holder, for whom a child entry has been made, the passport remains unrestricted.

Birth certificate biometric photo of the child for infants and infants, exceptions to the requirements for the photo are possible if necessary, consent of the absent parent further evidence if necessary (at the discretion of the competent authority)

Germans within the meaning of Art. 116 sec. 1 Of the Basic Law (GG)

Children aged 12 and over need an IDENTITY card or an electronic passport, depending on the destination.
Section 1 paragraph 2 number 2 Of passports (PassG)

Some countries (e.g. the US) can only enter visa-free if the passport contains an electronic storage medium (chip). Therefore, if your child wants to enter with a child's passport, they will also need a visa. Please inform yourself about the specific entry requirements of your country of travel and the required identification documents in good time before the start of the trip. For further information, please contact the Travel and Security Advice of the Foreign Office.

The children's passport will be issued and handed over immediately. You need a biometric passport image. Children under the age of ten are subject to less stringent requirements than adults. The personal presence of the child at the time of application and updating of the child's passport is required.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of the Interior (BMI)

Last update or date of publication
No information available