Social Security Registration

Where do I register my employees for social security?

If you employ employees, you must register them for social security at the beginning of the employment relationship. The registration includes the

  • Health insurance
  • long-term care insurance,
  • Pension insurance and
  • Unemployment insurance

Note: The statutory health insurance funds (collection offices) collect the total social security contribution and forward the individual parts to the responsible authorities. For minor jobs, the mini-job centre at the Deutsche Rentenversicherung Knappschaft-Bahn-See is the collection point.

You must register employees who are legally insured in the health, long-term care, pension insurance or under the law of employment promotion. However, you must also register employees who are exempt from insurance due to marginal employment. These are short-term employees who work for you for a maximum of three months or 70 working days per year, as well as low-paid employees.

Amended by the Qualification Opportunities Act of 18.12.2018

To report, you need the following information:

  • Social security number (issued by the pension insurance institution); Employees who do not yet have a social security number automatically receive it from the health insurance company when they first register for social security
  • Data of the employee, such as name and address
  • Reason for the message
  • Your company number
  • Company number of the responsible collection office / health insurance company
  • Information on contribution groups, type of activity and nationality
  • Certificate for encrypted data transmission

§§ 28a ff. Fourth Book of the Social Code (SGB IV)

Data Collection and Transmission Ordinance (DEÜV)

An overview of the approved programs can be found on the pages of the Information Technology Service Office of the Statutory Health Insurance (ITSG).

If you do not use payroll software, offers a possibility to transmit reports in encrypted form using the prescribed electronic means.

Further information and further information on data exchange can be found on the itsG pages or under Data Exchange .

You may only transmit the social security reports and the proof of contributions of your employees to the data acceptance points of the health insurance companies / collection point by means of system-tested programs or machine-generated filling aids.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs, Health, Women and Family

Last update or date of publication