Marriage registration

Before you can get married, you must register your marriage. In the past, it was also said to "order the bidding". The spouses should register the intended marriage in person with the registry office where one of the spouses is domiciled or habitually resident. In order to speed up the procedure, you can already submit to the registry office your desired date for marriage and the data required for the examination of the marital capacity by means of a pre-registration. The place where you register your marriage does not have to be the place where you want to enter into a marriage. You can enter into a marriage in any registry office in Germany. The civil marriage and a church wedding are independent of each other. There are no witnesses present at the time of marriage. However, if you wish to do so, you can designate one or two people as groomsmen. Whether you want to have a common or separate surname in the marriage can be determined at the time of marriage or at a later date.

1. If you have German nationality and enter into your first marriage: valid identity card or passport Residence certificate of the reporting authority (not older than four weeks) if your birth has been certified domestically: certified extract from the (electronic) birth register or certified copy from the birth register (in paper form); registry office of the place of birth) if your birth has been certified abroad: current birth certificate 2. If you have already been married or have lived in a civil partnership, you will also need: marriage certificate and final divorce judgment, or Evidence of the establishment and dissolution of the civil partnership or if your former partner has since died, the marriage certificate or proof of the establishment of the civil partnership and the death certificate of the former partner If your divorce is filed abroad, you should check with the registry office in advance whether a recognition procedure is required. Please bring along: all marriage certificates all final divorce judgments (with facts and reasons for decision) a full translation by a domestically sworn document translator 3. If you have children with your future spouse or are entitled to care for children from marriages, you also need: Children's birth certificates 4. For a partner from abroad, it is necessary to: valid identity card/passport or other proof of identification Proof of nationality if this does not result from the identity card or passport Residence certificate of the reporting authority (not older than four weeks) Birth certificate Certificate of Marital Capacity For partners from states where no marriage certificates are issued, advice to the registry office on the exemption from the obligation to present a certificate of matrimonial capacity is recommended. This is granted by the President of the Higher Regional Court. The registrar accepts the application and forwards it. Foreign language documents: For foreign-language documents, the registry office basically requires complete translations into the German language, produced by a translator publicly appointed and sworn in germany. Foreign documents often also require certification by the competent foreign authority. In such a case, the registry office will draw your attention to this. Other documents: The registry office may be able to request further documents, such as the naturalisation certificate.

Age of majority (current legal situation) In principle, the marriage should only be entered into after the age of majority (at the age of 18). Minors may also, exceptionally, marry if they are at least 16 years of age and the future spouse is of legal age. For this purpose, an exemption by the Family Court is necessary. In this case, the court shall hear not only the future minor spouse but also his legal representative (usually the parents). Age of majority (planned legal situation) Marriage may only be entered into after the age of majority (at the age of 18). Minors cannot marry. Marriage between relatives Marriage between straight-line relatives (e.g. parents and their children) and between siblings and half-siblings is not permitted. This also applies in principle if the relationship was established by an adoption. Double marriages/double civil partnerships Double marriages may not be concluded in Germany. A marriage previously entered into must have been dissolved by death, divorce or other final judgment before remarriage. If a previous marriage has been divorced abroad, the divorce must normally only be explicitly recognised in Germany in order for it to take effect here. Exceptions to this principle apply in particular to most EU countries. A previously established civil partnership must also be dissolved.
In order to register the marriage, both partners (fiancée) usually visit the competent registry office together. If one of them is prevented, the other can register the marriage alone. The registry office requires the written authorisation of the prevented partner. If the registry office does not find a marriage obstacle, you will be informed that the marriage can be carried out.

Responsible for the content

Last update or date of publication