# Registering and de-registering vehicles
On water, on land or in the air, every vehicle needs to be registered. Here you will find all sort of information about registering and de-registering vehicles, from the emissions sticker to registration certificates to the main vehicle inspection.To Services
Information about Rights & Duties
If you want to drive your new or used vehicle on public roads, you need a registration.
If you move to another registration district, you must re-register your vehicle immediately and apply for a new number plate if necessary.
Do you have cause for complaint after a train, bus or ship journey? Then you can contact the Federal Railway Authority (EBA).
Do you wish a certain letter or number combination for your license plate, for example
- an abbreviation of your name
- the abbreviation of your company,
- a date of birth or wedding or
- would you like an "old license plate" for your vehicle that is available again in your district together with a certain identification number?
For a fee, you can apply for a personalised number plate or have it reserved in advance.
If you would like to use the licence plate of your deregistered vehicle again in the same administrative district at a later date, you can have the identification number reserved for a certain period of time for a fee and apply for it again in connection with the re-registration or the registration of another vehicle. A reservation of a vanity plate expires if you move a deregistered vehicle. Contact the registration authority before doing so.
- Subsequent changes to a license plate combination assigned to a vehicle are only possible for an additional fee.
- A licence plate reserved in another registration district cannot be transferred to the new registration district when you move.
Note:The registration authorities will try to comply with your wishes. However, you have no legal claim to a personalised number plate.
If you wish to participate in aeronautical and aeronautical navigation radio, the BNetzA will assign you the callsign with the Aircraft Station Licence on application. In addition, you must notify changes, for example, the holder address or the radio technical equipment.