Moving temporarily or permanently to another Member State

Information about Rights & Duties of #Spending time abroad

Information about Rights & Duties

Moving temporarily or permanently to another Member State

Persons who usually live abroad and who move into accommodation for a stay of no more than 3 months are not subject to the general registration obligation.

If it is already clear when moving into the accommodation that the stay will exceed 3 months, the person must register with the registration authority 2 weeks after  moving in.

Further information

Sections 27(2), 17(1) and (3) and Section 23 of the Federal Registration Act ( Bundesmeldegesetz, BMG )

Sections 17.1, 17.3 and 23.0 of the General Administrative Regulation implementing the Federal Registration Act (Verwaltungsvorschrift zur Durchführung des Bundesmeldegesetzes, BMGVwV)

Registration authority of the municipality or city.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community

Last update or date of publication