# Vehicle taxes
Motor vehicle owners must pay motor vehicle tax. Special provisions apply to people with disabilities.
Information about Rights & Duties
If you buy an electric vehicle, you can apply for an environmental bonus of up to EUR 6,000. The exact amount depends, among other things, on the vehicle's drive and its base price.
A vehicle re-registration is always given when a vehicle is brought from outside to Hamburg as part of the move. A vehicle re-registration is also given if a Hamburg resident buys a registered vehicle away from home.
You can deregister your motor vehicle with the competent registration authority,
- if you intend to sell it,
- if you temporarily do not use it, or
- if you want to have it recycled.
With the decommissioning (deregistration) the registration of the vehicle for public road traffic is terminated. The most common reason for this is the sale of the vehicle. Another common reason is the temporary non-use of motorcycles over the winter months.
- After deregistration, you no longer have to pay insurance and taxes for the vehicle.
- The registration authority therefore informs your car insurance company and the customs administration, which collects the vehicle tax, about the deregistration.
- The vehicle may no longer be driven or parked on public roads after deregistration.
- The deregistration can be made at any licensing authority.
- You can reserve your license plate for one year for the purpose of re-registration.
Registration of a vehicle that has already been registered abroad (non-EU country) is possible on request. Approval shall be granted by the competent licensing authority.
If you move to another registration district, you must immediately re-register your vehicle and, if necessary, apply for a new license plate.
For vehicles that were first registered at least 30 years ago, a red license plate can be applied for.
If you want to carry a trailer on your motor vehicle in public road traffic, you need a permit for it. You must apply for this.